Rules of Agar.io Game
As I mentioned earlier, there is actually one and simple rule in Agar.io game: Bigger cells eat smaller cells. This rule is the most important thing in the game. I also mentioned in “About page” about main rules that everyone can get after playing Agar.io for some time. These were:
- Eat the pellets (small foods) on the screen and other player’s smaller cells to increase the mass of your own cell(s).
- Avoid other player’s larger cells, escape from them, because they can eat your cell likewise.
- Your cell can split into half (with SPACE key) and will be thrown forward to attack and eat smaller cells.
- Your cell can eject mass (with W key) for some reasons (I am explaining these reasons in this post “Uses of Ejecting Mass (W Key)”, click here for further details).
- Avoid viruses and use them to your advantage.
In this article, I will go into a deeper level and inform you about mechanics of game. This article contains lots of numbers. After reading this, you can learn much about rules of Agar.io and plan smarter strategies to attack your enemies.
- Score: Your high score is shown on the bottom-left of the screen.
- Leaderboard: There is a leaderboard on the top-right of the screen which shows top 10 players currently in that room.
Rules of Growth and Shrinking
There is one thing I strongly recommend: Check “Show mass” setting before you start playing. When “Show mass” is checked, you can monitor your exact mass during gameplay and be aware of which actions affect your mass size.
- Your mass will increase one point each time you eat a pellet (small colored dots on screen). Also you grow when you eat smaller cells.
- Ejecting a mass will cause
90%80% of mass that you have ejected loss from your total mass (was 16 points before). See Uses of Ejecting Mass (W Key) article for more detailed information.
- Splitting into half (Space Key) does not change your total mass size. A new cell is emerged having a half – 50% – mass of original cell is thrown forward. You can have maximum 16 cells in the game, if you try to split more nothing happens.
- Your cell always shrinks with proportional to your mass size passively. You can not even notice shrinking if you are small (up to 200) but when you reach a higher mass there will be a considerable amount of mass loss. When your mass size is near 1900, shrinking rate is 20 per second, that means you can not grow anymore even if you span and eat a rich pellet farm.
- Maximum mass size you can ever reach for a cell is 22,500. When a cell reach this size, it won’t grow anymore. However it is possible to reach bigger score with multiple cells (each cell up to 22,500). This rule is valid when these cells combine.
Rules of Viruses
A virus is the green spiky round things in the game screen. They do not move. They are born at random locations. A virus makes a bigger cell explode if the cell touches it. Smaller cells does not explode even if it passes through the center of a virus.
Mass of a virus is near 140 at the time it is born. That means if your cell size is greater than 150 you get better not touch a virus.
Viruses get bigger if a cell ejects a mass into it. If a virus is ejected mass for 7 times, a new virus is emerged and thrown forward – through the opposite direction of ejection – just like what happens when a cell splits.
Rules of Eating
A cell must have a size of 25% more of target cell in order to eat it. For example target cell has a mass of 100. Your cell must be at least 125, otherwise your cell just wanders around the target cell and nothing happens despite you are bigger. Mass, in this game is the area of cell indeed. So the diameter of the hunter cell must be 10% longer than the target cell (sqrt(1,25) ~ 1.10).
- Eating by splitting: Let’s calculate “eating by splitting” case. Again assume that target cell has a mass of 100. Then your eating-cell must be at least 125. So your original size must be at least 250 (125 x 2). Consider this carefully because you should not split your cell unnecessarily or you will be a target for others.
I think this post will be the most solid post of this web site. Only numbers Other posts will be about tips and tricks for Agar.io game, they will be based on this rules. If you think there is a change in this rules please state it in the comments section, then let us fix.
Now you know more about Agar.io rules, have a nice gameplay.